Sweet surprise on significant day!


Surprises are sweeter when they are least expected.

I’m not talking about receiving love notes or red roses on Valentine’s Day (because they are so predictable!) so let me share with you the sweetest surprise I received on this significant day.

The book review by K.K. Wong in The Sun, dated Feb 14
I woke up to a bright and cheerful morning and was enjoying a leisurely breakfast when my phone signaled a message from my sister-in-law who’s based in Kuala Lumpur.

She must have been catching up on the news before her first meeting of the day. Her message included a snap shot of the bottom half of page 18 in The Sun today, Feb 14.

The first thing that caught my eyes was the cover design of my book, My Johor Stories: True Tales, Real People, Rich Heritage, next to the pictures of two other books.

My book remained in the MPH
Bestsellers list for months in 2017
I scanned the article she sent and saw that it was published under the page, The Right Read and the section where my book was mentioned, was a book review by K.K. Wong.

I zeroed in on the review of my book and could not help but smile when I read how the writer gave a brief but glowing review of my book.

Thanks K.K. Wong, for your succinct review!

I’m deeply humbled and more than pleased that since my book was in the market from mid last year, it remained popular with readers and is counted among the titles in the Best of MPH Non-Fiction in 2017.

By this time, other readers of The Sun have also spotted this page.

One of them was the gentleman who graciously wrote the Foreword in my book, Member of Parliament for Johor Baru, Tan Sri Shahrir Abdul Samad, and his text message said: “I read it too. Well done Peggy, for leaving a legacy.”   

The full page 18 of The Sun today
Then I receive an email from general manager of MPH Publishing, Kuah Sze Mei, with a message: “Enclosed is the review of My Johor Stories in The Sun today,” along with her Chinese New Year wishes and attached a file with the full page 18 of The Sun.

By this time, others who have read this book review were sending in their comments, complete with cute and encouraging emoji!

Gwen said: "It's your Valentine's gift and a great start to the lunar new year!"

Then my cousin Malcolm ended his message with: “Waiting impatiently for Volume 2!”

Thanks everyone, for your encouraging comments and have a sweet Valentine’s Day! You will be pleased to know that I’ve already started working on its exciting sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment